1. Spiritual Gifts Are Received While Talents Are
• One of the differences between a spiritual gift and a talent is that spiritual gifts are received while natural talents are inherited. This means that a person inherits a talent from their mother or father, therefore having a genetic component.
• Spiritual gifts, on the other hand, are received by a person once they have received salvation. It is given from the hands of the Holy Spirit according to the will of the Father. We are reminded by this in 1 Corinthians 12:7-11,
2. Spiritual Gifts Are Acquired by Only the Saved While Talents Are Acquired by Both the Saved and Unsaved
• The second difference of a spiritual gift and a natural talent is that natural talents are acquired by both the saved and the unsaved while spiritual talents are acquired only by those who receive salvation. Anyone with a family that has a talent for something can acquire such talent.
• On the other hand, the Spirit of God is the only source for spiritual gifts and without accepting Jesus Christ in true salvation, a person cannot receive spiritual gifts. We are reminded by this in Ephesians 4:10-12,
3. Spiritual Gifts Are Matured and Surprising While Talents Are Developed and Expected
• Another difference between a spiritual gift and a natural talent is that natural talent can be developed with continuous practice while a spiritual gift cannot and is given with a surprise.
• Spiritual gifts are always unexpected and when a person receives it, they are already good at it right away even if they have not trained for it. That is how powerful the Holy Spirit is in giving spiritual gifts. The Spirit gives spiritual blessings to the one who is mature enough to receive it. In Ephesians 4:14-16, it is written,
4. Both Spiritual Gifts and Talents Come from God
• Both spiritual gifts and natural talents are God-given. This means that these are blessings that our Lord God has imparted in us. God is our Creator and it is through Him that we receive different abilities.
• We are reminded by this in Nehemiah 9:6, “You alone are the Lord. You have made the heavens, the heaven of heavens with all their host, the earth and all that is on it, the seas and all that is in them. You give life to all of them and the heavenly host bows down before You.” And in Genesis 1:1, “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.”
• Because everything that we have is from God, we should exalt Him and not lean on our own understanding, rather, to Him. Romans 12:3-8 states that,